St. Chads Church is an Anglican Church in the historic centre of Poulton-le-Fylde. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.
A church on the site was built no later than the 11th century and may have existed prior to the Norman conquest of England. The tower dates from the 17th century, and much of the remainder of the building from a major renovation in the 18th century, although some of the fabric of the original structure remains.
In the 15th century, the church was given by Henry V to Syon Monastery in Middlesex. It returned to the Crown following the Dissolution of the Monasteries and from the 16th to the 20th century, the advowson (the right to appoint a parish priest) belonged to the Hesketh/Fleetwood family.
The red sandstone building is faced with grey ashlar and consists of a nave, chancel, square tower and a Norman-style apse. Its furnishings include a Georgian staircase, a Jacobean pulpit, box pews and hatchments. There are eight bells in the tower.
Outside the church are the remains of a stone preaching cross. The church is open for services and for visits. The grounds are particularly beautiful and locally renowned for its blanket of purple and yellow crocuses at springtime.
St Helens Church
St Helen's Church is a Grade I listed church and recognised with Blackburn Diocese as ‘the Cathedral of the Fylde’. Look around the beautiful stained glass windows as well as other points of historic interest around the church.
There is a café and parish shop on site for visitors to enjoy. Historically, the village of Churchtown was part of the ecclesiastical parish of Garstang, with St Helen's as the parish church. The oldest parts of the church date from the 13th century. The church was rebuilt in the 15th and 16th centuries.
St Michaels Church
Whilst the Parish Church registers only date from around 1659, the village was one of only three to be named in the Domesday Survey (Preston and Kirkham being the other two), it is therefore likely that there has been a church on this site much longer.
Archaeology suggests that a church existed at the time of the Norman Conquest although, according to ancient historians, a church existed as far back as the fifth century. The construction of the present church has taken place at various times; it can be seen that the tower, which was built in the mid-16th century, is later addition to the main body of the building. On the north side may be seen the Butler Chapel which was erected between the years of 1480 and 1500. The church is described as being in late perpendicular style.
St Andrews Church
This beautiful church, based in Cleveleys is registered as a Grade II listed church dating from 1910, with Historic England. Within its walls you’ll see the beautiful stain glass windows and uncover the story of the Abana Bell and its journey from Canada to Cleveleys. 127 years after the Abana, a sailing barque was shipwrecked off the Fylde Coast see the bell itself and hear the story.