The school holidays are here, so if you’re looking for ways to entertain the kids then look no further. Here’s a roundup of what’s taking place across the district.
Fleetwood Market will be holding a free Summer Seaside Family Fun Day on Saturday 19 August and it’s set to be a scorcher of an event. From 10am to 4pm the outdoor market will be alive with free family entertainment and traditional seaside attractions including Punch and Judy shows, balloon art, miniature fairground organ providing the nostalgic music we all know and love from our trips to the seaside, a giant deckchair to relax in and soak up the atmosphere for the perfect photo opportunity and a free children's craft activity.
Plus, in between shows hop on board a miniature double decker bus and take a ride up and down Victoria Street. The market will also be open all day with everything from gourmet street food to the freshest fruit and vegetables, finely crafted jewellery to designer clothing, bargain household goods to hand-made gifts and haberdashery.
Our countryside team are hosting some fantastic activities for children over the six week holiday including:
- Bugs and beasties at Hawthorne Park, Thornton - join the rangers to investigate what wildlife lives in and around the park
- Storytime on the beach - join us for a marine themed story telling session with a difference! Help us celebrate the Lancashire Living Seas Trail and create your very own seaside stories
- Xplorer Orienteering - find the hidden markers around the park. Use your map to navigate and answer fun questions
- Build a bird - come and learn about Wyre’s coastal and dune birds with a short talk and bird spotting session at Rossall Tower, and have a go at crafting your own bird to take home
- Great egg case hunt – join us for a hunt for shark, skate and ray egg cases (mermaid’s purses) along the shore
- Bats and moths wildlife evening – an exciting evening looking for bats, lead by Dave McGrath and the Wyre rangers, followed by a moth hunt once the sun sets
- Children’s art session at Stanah - free and fun spring-themed session for children aged 7-11. Fun and easy/accessible session which teaches creative skills in a beautiful setting
To find out when these events are on and how to book on, visit the Wyre Council website
Whilst the sun is out head down to the beach. Wyre is lucky to have three beautiful beaches which are the perfect spots to have some family fun. Build sandcastles, fly a kite, have a picnic or take a walk along the promenade to enjoy the views. If you find yourself on Cleveleys promenade you'll notice a stunning series of sculptures known as the mythic coast. Five striking structures have brought to life The Sea Swallow book - a specially commissioned children's story imaginatively written by Gareth Thompson and beautifully illustrated by Hannah Magee. Take a stroll and see which pieces of artwork you can spot.
You can follow the Mythic Coast trail on the Discover Wyre Trails app which combines adapted and original illustration and animation, 3D digital art, poetry and music. Available on the App Store and Google Play, you can download the free app and experience an immersive digital story that brings the pieces of artwork on the beach and promenade to life. It's great fun for the kids!
Affinity Lancashire Outlet in Fleetwood is hosting A Summer of Fun from 25 July – 3 September. There’s lots of activities taking place over the six weeks including seaside shows, free mini golf, inflatable fun with bouncy castles and slides, a climbing wall, a free gaming day with appearances from Mario, Luigi and Princess Peach and a summer trail. As well as that their Artisan Market will make a return. To find out when each event is taking place visit their website or check out their Facebook page.
Over in Bilsborrow, Guys Thatched Hamlet are hosting their annual Bubble and Beach event. Head over between the 31 July and 28 August with your bucket and spade for fun on the beach. The field is open daily from 10am until 5.30pm. There is something for all the family, a host of kiddies rides, crazy golf course, paddle boats, dodgems and an 'Inflatable World'. And watch out for daily special guests on the Big Top Stage!
Garstang Arts Centre are hosting free lunchtime concerts every Thursday throughout July, August and early September. Not to be missed!